Namespace questions

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jul 3 13:27:06 BST 1998

> Possibly the hardest thing about XLink is that it *doesn't return
> anything*; you *don't get anything back*.  The pointer points; it
> doesn't fetch.  When you point to <Bar:Foo>, what you have is a
> pointer to <Bar:Foo>.  That's it.  Now, if you're writing a program
> based on top of a parser and an XLink processor, you should probably
> be able to ask the parser for some information about the thing that
> the pointer is pointing to, such as its namespace.  But that's
> something *on top of* XLink, not part of it.

I understand that XPointer is the language for constructing pointers and XLink
is the language for constructing links.  Just to make sure, an XLink processor
is software that knows how to follow XLinks and give you something back.
Presumably, it works in conjunction with an XPointer processor, which actually
follows the link.  Right?

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)