2nd CFV: comp.text.xml

Neil Crellin neilc at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 6 21:14:04 BST 1998

                      LAST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
                   unmoderated group comp.text.xml

This CFV is to be distributed only by the votetaker.  It is not to be
posted to newsgroups, or mailed to mailing lists or individuals, except by
the votetaker.  Ballots or CFVs provided by anyone else will be invalid.

Newsgroups line:
comp.text.xml		The Extensible Markup Language (XML).

Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 14 Jul 1998.

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party.  Questions
about the proposed group should be directed to the proponent.

Proponent: James Tauber <jtauber at jtauber.com>
Votetaker: Neil Crellin <neilc at stanford.edu>

RATIONALE: comp.text.xml

XML is a new language, and it appears that it will be extremely
popular.

Over the past few months, traffic on the XML-DEV and XML-L
mailing lists has grown rapidly.  With the release of the W3C
Recommendation for XML 1.0, developer interest is growing rapidly
and an increasing amount of software is being released.  A
newsgroup would make it much easier for a wider audience
to participate in and benefit from these discussions.

While it may appear at first that comp.text.sgml is appropriate,
there will be those interested in XML who do not care about the
arcana of SGML, and there will be those interested in SGML who
do not care to see many basic questions about XML.

CHARTER: comp.text.xml

Comp.text.xml shall be an unmoderated newsgroup for the general
discussion of the Extensible Markup Language (XML) and its
application.

This includes, but is not limited to the specifications and
syntax, document creation and editing, interchange, software,
processing and database integration. This applies not only to
XML itself but also the Extensible Linking Language (XLL), the
Extensible Style Language (XSL), Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) as
applied to XML documents, and to document types and applications
of XML.

Policy on Advertising

We encourage discussion of the merits and shortcomings of
commercial products. A certain amount of advertising (both
objective and advocative) is to be expected and this is to be
encouraged as long as the products and services relate directly
to XML and the announcements are brief. Company representatives
are expected to participate in discussions of their product that
they themselves did not initiate.

Please refer to the widely available Internet literature on the
subject of common net abuses (indiscriminate newsgroup spamming,
multiple advertisement posting, and chain letters being among the
most frequent).

END CHARTER.

IMPORTANT VOTING PROCEDURE NOTES: READ THIS BEFORE VOTING

The purpose of a Usenet vote is to determine the genuine interest in
reading the proposed newsgroup, and soliciting votes from uninterested
parties defeats this purpose.  Do *not* distribute this CFV;  intead,
direct people to the official CFV as posted to news.announce.newgroups.
Distributing specific voting instructions or pre-marked copies of
this CFV is considered vote fraud.

This is a public vote:  All email addresses, names and votes will be
listed in the final RESULT post.  The name used may be either a real
name or an established Usenet handle.

At most one vote is allowed per person or per account.  Duplicate
votes will be resolved in favor of the most recent valid vote.

Voters must mail their ballots directly to the votetaker.  Anonymous,
forwarded, or proxy votes are not valid, nor are votes mailed from
WWW/HTML/CGI forms (which should not exist).  Votes from nonexistent
accounts are also invalid, and the votetaker will reject any "munged"
address he cannot decipher immediately.

Please direct any questions to the votetaker at <neilc at stanford.edu>.

HOW TO VOTE:

Extract the ballot from the CFV by deleting everything before and after
the "BEGINNING OF BALLOT" and "END OF BALLOT" lines.  Don't worry about
the spacing of the columns or any quote characters (">") that your
reply inserts.  Please, DO NOT send the entire CFV back to me!

Fill in the ballot as shown below.  Please provide your REAL NAME and
indicate your desired vote in the appropriate locations inside the ballot.

Examples of how to properly indicate your vote:

  [ YES     ]  example.yes.vote
  [ NO      ]  example.no.vote
  [ ABSTAIN ]  example.abstention
  [ CANCEL  ]  example.cancellation

DO NOT modify, alter or delete any information in this ballot!
If you do, the voting software will probably reject your ballot.

When finished, MAIL the ballot to: < voting at uvv.stanford.edu >
Just "replying" to this message should work, but check the "To:" line.

If you do not receive an acknowledgment of your vote within three
days contact the votetaker about the problem.  You are responsible
for reading your ack and making sure your vote is registered correctly.

If these instructions are unclear, please consult the Introduction to
Usenet Voting or the Usenet Voting FAQ at http://www.stanford.edu/~neilc/uvv.

======== BEGINNING OF BALLOT: Delete everything before this line =======
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Please provide your real name, or your vote may be rejected.  Place
| ONLY your name (ie. do NOT include your e-mail address or any other
| information; ONLY your name) after the colon on the following line:

Voter name:

| Insert YES, NO, ABSTAIN, or CANCEL inside the brackets for each
| newsgroup listed below (do not delete the newsgroup name):

 Your Vote   Newsgroup
 ---------   -----------------------------------------------------------
[         ]  comp.text.xml

======== END OF BALLOT: Delete everything after this line ==============

DISTRIBUTION:

In addition to the groups named in the Newsgroups: header, the CFV
and the eventual RESULT posts will be mailed to these mailing lists:

Mailing list name: xml-dev
Submission address: xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
Request address: majordomo at ic.ac.uk (body: subscribe xml-dev email)

Mailing list name: XML-L
Submission address: XML-L at LISTSERV.HEANET.IE
Request address: LISTSERV at LISTSERV.HEA.IE (body: SUBSCRIBE XML-L First Last)

Mailing list name: xsl-list
Submission address: xsl-list at mulberrytech.com
Request address: Majordomo at mulberrytech.com (body: subscribe xsl-list)

comp.text.xml Bounce List - Please contact me about your vote
DuCharmR at moodys.com                                                Bob DuCharme
ginigma at REMOVE_ultracom.net                                              c gold
John.Lamp at diespam.deakin.edu.au                                       John Lamp
richard at lineone.net                                            Richard O'BEIRNE

This CFV was created with uvpq 1.0 (Aug 14 1997).
PQ datestamp: 980322

Voting address: voting at uvv.stanford.edu

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)