Tags vs PCDATA

Steve Withall stevew at access.com.au
Tue Jul 7 03:55:31 BST 1998

... and, if you use attributes, you can't get at them in XSL without resorting to a script. Having decided I wanted to use attributes to hold values retrieved from a database, I had to resort to writing a utility to convert attributes into child elements in order to make them accessible via XSL.

I guess this is a practical argument in favour of using elements for database values, but I'd also like to make a plea to the formulators of the XSL standard to provide a convenient way to access attributes.

Cheers, Steve.

At 19:22 6/7/98 -0400, Frank Boumphrey wrote:
>Hi,
>a full review of this question can be found at
>
>http://www.sil.org/sgml/elementsAndAttrs.html
>
>It appears that there is no correct answer, except if you use an attribute,
>then the data will not be visible to the reader when the tags are stripped
>off.
>
>Frank
>
>Frank Boumphrey
>XML and style sheet info at Http://www.hypermedic.com/style/index.htm
>Author: - Professional Style Sheets for HTML and XML http://www.wrox.com

Steve Withall
Systems Architect                            Tel: 61 2 9957 1036
Access Systems Research Pty. Limited         Fax: 61 2 9959 5111
Level 10, 20 Berry Street
North Sydney NSW 2060                        Email: stevew at access.com.au
Australia                                    http://www.access.com.au

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)