XLF: Legacy Log Problems

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 08:23:54 BST 1998

At 18:55 08/07/98 -0700, Don Park wrote:
[...]
>Non-integrated views.  When a server generates multiple log types (i.e.
>access, error, etc.), each log types are written out into separate files.
>This makes it difficult to analyze problems whose symtoms are spread out
>over multiple files.  When there are more than one process involved (i.e.
>web server, application server, and database server), the task becomes
>practically impossible.  It would be nice to 'merge' log information from
>multiple sources to get a view of the all the components working together.

It could be useful to indicate the variety of log file types. I assume that
HTPP logs will be the favorite. [Example: I spend my time grepping the VSMS
server logs to see what percentage of JUMBO2 downloads break - by using the
byte count. ] Are you anticipating the elementTypes will be as detailed as
<ByteCount> or more general like <Transaction>? [I assume the latter, with
additional means of qualification through attributes.]

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)