XLF: Legacy Log Problems

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Fri Jul 10 00:20:16 BST 1998

Steven Champeon wrote:

>  <DATE TIMEZONE="GMT" MONTH="07" DAY="09" YEAR="1998" DAY="Thu" HOUR=...>
>
> When we could (and probably should) do:
>
>  <DATE>Thu Jul  9 12:13:13 EDT 1998</DATE>
>
> or its equivalent? I can see the desire to genericize logfile entries
> getting ugly quick :)

I actually prefer the former to the latter, since it means I don't
have to have a date parser behind the XML parser.  Using attributes
makes it easy to pick out all 1998 entries, or all Thursdays, or
all July 1998 entries, or whatever.

In no case should we standardize on that ancient format.  If we
must represent dates as strings rather than as attribute-bags,
we should use a profile of ISO 8601.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)