XML--I need advice on an XML tutorial I wrote

Julie Brown jubrown at projectcool.com
Sun Jul 12 14:50:12 BST 1998

Hi everyone! The company I work for, Project Cool.com, is about to release a
tutorial on XML.

I've been writing the first section of this area. It's called the XML
QuickStart and it's part of an "XML Developer Zone" teaching web designers
and developers how to use XML in their web sites.

We'd like to have people who have been working with XML take a look at the
site before it goes live. The Quickstart shouldn't take you more than 5 or
10 minutes to read. Here's the URL:
http://www.projectcool.com/developer/xmlpub

It is designed as an overview, but we still want to be sure that:
the information is accurate, it makes sense and it gives people enough
information on XML to determine whether they want to use it.

Is this something you'd tell a just-assigned-to-your-XML project designer
who has never worked with XML to read as basic background?

Keep in mind that this is an introductory section.  Over the next few months
we'll have more tutorials that range from basic XML to advanced XML (and
XSL, etc.)

The purpose of this introductory section is to demystify and demythify XML.
It's a dipping the toe in the water introduction.  We're holding back on
explicit definitions of Valid, Well-Formed, DTDs, and components until our
next tutorial.  In fact, we've avoided anything that the average web
designer (think: fine arts student) might think is "scary."

Thanks in advance for your help in making XML accessible to more web
developers!!

Check out http://www.projectcool.com/developer
to see examples of our other Developer Zones.

Thanks!
Julie Brown

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)