XML--I need advice on an XML tutorial I wrote

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sun Jul 12 17:27:31 BST 1998

At 02:50 PM 7/10/98 -0700, Julie Brown wrote:
>Is this something you'd tell a just-assigned-to-your-XML project designer
>who has never worked with XML to read as basic background?

Attractive design & layout.  Extremely thin on content.

Problems:

1.   "You'll still need DHTML or JavaScript to
    make images fly around on your page or to define font colors. "

 Stylesheets are the right way to do colors and XML doesn't change that.

2. cyan on orange is a lousy color combination

3. It's not obvious how XML's 10 design goals were boiled down to 3.
Why those 3?

4. "<?XML version="1.0"?> "

Wrong.  Read the spec.

5. The page entitled "Well-Formed XML" has a big problem.  It defines thing
called "Components" and "Rules" which I think are sorta kinda like
elements and declarations... inventing new names for the central things
of XML is only going to make the readers of this page unable to communicate
with people who read any other XML intro.  Uh, might it be a good idea
to introduce basic concepts like "elements" and "attributes"

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)