Role of CATALOGs (was Re: <XML:SCRIPT>)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 08:23:44 BST 1998

At 09:03 13/07/98 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>One of the decisions of the text/xml RFC is that it should work on an entity
>basis: it refers to a single entity, and NOT a complete document.

Ah... I start to understand.

>In SGML there has been a long bunfight about MIME media types: both the
>camps have the view that whole documents should be sent, but one camp wants
>the types to only send entities which are actually  used (for size
>minimisation) while the other side wants to leave that up to the sender. So
>for text/xml the WG wisely abandoned the idea of sending compound documents.
>
>But this does mean that questions about bundling catalogs are not answered.

Yes - and we have to have an answer soon.

>I think XML-DEV should similarly avoid the bundling question (it is more
>applicable to sending documents by email anyway).  It should define a
>standard notation to allow embedded Catalogs in a PI. The PI should go as
>far towards the head of the document as possible.  Of course, an external
>resource is OK too, but an internal PI saves a download.

Seems a useful idea - I assume this is novel? It also stops the problem of
the wrong catalog getting associated with the wrong file (though not the
wrong files being addressed by the catalog :-)

><?xcat
>?>

Understood.  Perhaps <?XDEV:cat ... ?> to start with. Anyone?

>Rick Jelliffe
>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
>To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo at ic.ac.uk the following message;