XSchema Spec - Content Model Declarations (Section 2.3), Draft 4

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Jul 14 10:12:03 BST 1998

John Cowan wrote:

> > 2) As John suggests, expand the legal elements beneath an XSchema element.
In
> >  particular, add AttDef, Choice, Sequence, Mixed, and Ref to the XSchema
> > element.  (NotationType and EnumerationType no longer exist.  I have added
Ref
> > to John's list.)
>
> My only criticism: I don't think Ref belongs here, simply because Refs
> don't have any content themselves: they are just pointers, so it seems
> useless, over-complicated, and confusing in XSchema to have pointers
> to pointers.

But Ref is a valid content model:

<ElementDecl Name="Section">
   <Ref Element="Paragraph" Frequency="OneOrMore"/>
</ElementDecl>

(i.e. <!ELEMENT Section (Paragraph+)>  )

If I want to be able to store more complex content models in an XSchema element
(for reference from other XSchemas), why can't I store this one?

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)