XSchema: DTD-to-XSchema converter

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jul 17 18:54:06 BST 1998

An early version of the DTD-to-XSchema converter is now available from:

http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/DVS1/staff/bourret/xschema/dtdtoxschema.ht
ml

This is a SAX parser that parses a DTD and generates SAX XSchema events.  Also
included is a small SAX application that prints these events to a file, so you
can easily convert your DTD files to XSchema files.

A few major caveats (see the Web page for minor caveats):

* NO ENTITY SUPPORT.  I'll try to get this in next week, but what it means right
now is that you have to replace entities with actual values before running them
through the converter.

* STANDALONE DTDs ONLY.  For the moment, the converter only reads standalone
DTDs (which match the production extSubset).  The only real effect is that you
can't have (namespace) PIs in the external subset.  Is there any reason to
support DTDs in the instance file?

* SPEC.  This supports the latest version of the spec, which will probably be
outdated by Monday.  Note that the reverse converter (XSchemaToDTD) has not been
updated for the latest version of the spec, so those of you wanting to chain
them together will just have to wait.

As usual, send your bugs and other abuse to me at
rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de.  Have fun!

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)