Leaving the List

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 17 20:29:27 BST 1998

At 08:39 17/07/98 -0700, JHouston at walldata.com wrote:
>My suspicions were just verified.  I sent a message to the list, and
>received a copy of it a few minutes later.  Apparently I've NOT been
>unsubscribed, even though majordomo says I have.  What does work?
>Trying it a for second time?

Unsubscription is automatic most of the time, but many things can cause
problems (mail addresses can change unbeknownst to the mailer (e.g. the
company's gateway is renamed). Also I suspect that majordomo was not
written to the same software standards as airplane control systems and it
doesn't always 'work'.

There is a human in the loop - Henry - who gets zillions of mail messages
every week due to this list (about 600 per weekend I think). Most of these
announce that someone has gone fishing or the company's server has gone
down. However Henry works through them and will take action on 'Please, I
can't unsubscribe'.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg