XSchema Specification - Extensions (Section 2.6), Draft 3

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Sat Jul 18 17:25:57 BST 1998

This is a minor revision of the extensions section, stripping out FONT and
clarifying how XSC: elements might creep into the documentation.  A bigger
documentation issue remains -

Chris Maden wrote:
>For XSchema I would suggest, as another poster did, that some element
>types specific to the subject at hand might be useful, such as
><elementtype>, <attributename>, and <attributevalue>.

I don't think these need to go into IBTWSH - we can provide for them here. But
what (if anything) would people like for this?

As always, a prettier HTML version of this will be posted shortly at
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/xschema.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

2.6 XSchema Extensions

XSchema provides areas in which XSchema developers can provide supplemental
information and metadata regarding XSchema components in both human- and
machine-readable formats. Human-readable information is provided through the
use of a subset of HTML that conforms to XML syntax, while machine-readable
information may be provided through the XSC:More element.

2.6.1 Documentation Extensions

Human-readable documentation for XSchemas should be provided using the Itsy
Bitsy Teeny Weeny Simple Hypertext (IBTWSH) format created by John Cowan. The
full DTD is available at http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/ibtwsh.dtd.

Documentation that uses portions of the IBTWSH format may be included in the
XSC:Doc element, a subelement available to all declarations. The XSC:Doc
element provides basic formatting options for XSchema documentation.

<!ENTITY % ibtwsh SYSTEM "http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/ibtwsh.dtd">
%ibtwsh;
<!ELEMENT XSC:Doc %horiz.model;>

Any element allowed in the horiz.model set of elements (A, BR, SPAN, XML,
CITE, CODE, DFN, EM, KBD, SAMP, STRONG, VAR, or parsed character data) may be
used in the XSC:Doc element. Note that IBTWSH does not use namespaces in order
to preserve compatibility with HTML.

XSchema applications should ignore all XSchema declarations (i.e., elements
prefixed with XSC: or the appropriate XSchema prefix) within an XSC:Doc
element.  (The XML element of IBTWSH allows an ANY content model.)

2.6.2 Other Extensions

The XSC:More element provides an area which developers can use to create their
own supplements to XSchema, defining content types more tightly than is
possible through XSchema 1.0. The XSC: More element has a simple ANY content
model, though XSchema processors should ignore the appearance of any elements
from the XSchema namespace in this area.

<!ELEMENT XSC:More ANY>

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)