SAX and Namespaces

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Tue Jul 21 16:00:07 BST 1998

David Brownell writes:

 > > David> 1. Simply ignore them, and require the XML application to do
 > > David>    the work (all of the necessary information is passed on by
 > > David>    SAX).
 >
 > Actually, not it isn't.  SAX doesn't say where the DTD got parsed, so
 > layers (library, application) over SAX can't enforce the rule that
 > all namespace PIs must occur before the DTD.

The W3C confidentiality rules won't allow me to answer this point
right now.

 > The really sticky bit is that namespaces effictively modify the grammar
 > of XML so that only some names may be qualified (no entities/notations).
 > That effectively precludes any layered implementation over SAX, since
 > some entity declarations would need to be rejected during parsing (as
 > WF errors:  SAX fatalError callbacks).

As far as I understand, there is no intention to forbid colons in
these names; rather, their meaning is unspecified, and they remain
deprecated (as they are in the XML 1.0 spec).

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/