XML, HTML or SGML

Andrea Anders anders at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
Tue Jul 21 19:49:59 BST 1998

Hi,

I want to create a learning environment for the internet based on
SGML-Files. But SGML is unhandily, I think. (I use DynaWeb.)

The learning environment should include a thesaurus, glossary, question &
answers (interactively), control of learning progress, aids of navigation and
orientation, make bookmarks, make annotations, searching for words.
Furthermore it should contain case studies, schedule, email, mailinglists
etc.

I prefer XML, but you have much more experiences in electronic publishing
of XML-, HTML- and SGML-documents. Which document format is the best for
each component you think?

A problem is I think that XML-documents can't be viewed via www-browser.
MSIE 5.0 is not able to handle true XML, isn`t it?

Thanks for help.

Andrea

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)