XSchema Finalization - Element Declaration Containers (1)

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Sun Jul 26 18:05:00 BST 1998

As the XSchema spec moves toward some semblance of completion (Section 2.0,
the key section, anyway), we have a few key issues remaining for resolution.

This finalization is not _final_ - it's the last stage before we stop
development and let this section of the spec rest for a couple of weeks of
final review.  I'd like these issues cleared up first.

1. Element Declaration Containers

Last week I received a private message suggesting that we add a content model
container element and an attribute declaration container to the ElementDecl
declaration.  (Because it came in private correspondence, I've left off the
author's name.  The original author is very welcome to come forward.)

The current declaration is:
> <!ELEMENT XSC:ElementDecl (XSC:Doc?, XSC:More?, (XSC:Ref | XSC:Choice |
> XSC:Seq | XSC:Empty | XSC:Any | XSC:PCData | XSC:Mixed), XSC:AttDef*)>

The new declaration would be:
> <!ELEMENT XSC:ElementDecl (XSC:Doc?, XSC:More?, XSC:Model, XSC:AttList)>
> <!ELEMENT XSC:Model (XSC:Ref | XSC:Choice | XSC:Seq | XSC:Empty |
>                     XSC:Any | XSC:PCData | XSC:Mixed)>
> <!ELEMENT XSC:AttList (XSC:AttDef*)>

There are pluses and minuses.  I'd probably add XSC:Doc and XSC:More elements
to the XSC:Model and XSC:AttList elements so that folks could provide
documentation for the content model as a whole and the attribute list.

On the other hand, it's an extra layer of declarations that would make a
hand-coder like myself crazy.

I'd like to hear what people think of this, so that we can close this by the
end of the week.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)