Model group ambiguities

Daniel B. Austin daniela at cnet.com
Tue Jul 28 19:30:55 BST 1998

Helmut,

    SGML content models can be reduced to deterministic forms in all cases,
but
the techniques for doing so can be difficult, and the effort involved
extensive. While
any SGML content model can be rewritten to conform to the XML specification,
the result may be quite lengthy. A parser written to do this would be a
complex
undertaking.
    You can find information regarding SGML & XML content models here:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~kilpelai/C-1998-12.html .
This paper by Pekka Kilpelainen at Helsinki U. is a rigorous explication of
the mathematics involved.

Regards,

D-
****
Daniel Austin, Director of Development, Creative Services, CNET
daniela at cnet.com    415-395-7800 x1438
"To change the old into the new, and the shapes of things to come..."