How do browsers (IE4.01) trap XML streams coming from server?

Amit Rekhi amitr at abinfosys.com
Fri Jul 31 09:00:42 BST 1998

Hello,
            Is IE 4.01 capable of trapping XML streams and processing them
using XSL as they come from the server? (just as it traps and processes HTML
streams from the server).

           I am in the process of building an XML enabled server side
application which will talk to SQL server(6.5) tables and facing such a
problem.
            My ENVIRONMENT is :-

             * OS :- Windows NT Server 4.0
             * Scripting Evnvironment :- ASP
             * Scripting Language :- VBScript
             * Client Browser :- IE 4.01
             * Web Server :- IIS 4.0
             * Database Server :- SQL Server 6.5

            I am trying to  incorporate the following functionalities to the
application in the following manner:-

            FUNCTION 1 :- The application should be able to construct XML
data sources from the data stored in the SQL tables.

            IMPLEMENTATION OF FUNCTION 1:-   I am using ASP (ADO objects
within ASP) to construct XML data sources within ASP pages.A code snippet is
:-
            .
            .
            <%@ LANGUAGE = VBScript %>
            <?XML VERSION="1.0"?>
             <TABLE1>
             <%
                  Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
                  Conn.Open "TABLE1"
                  Set RS = Conn.Execute("select * from TABLE1")
                   Do while not RS.EOF
              %>
                <FIELD1><%= RS("Field1") %></FIELD1>
                <FIELD2><%= RS("Field1") %></FIELD2>
               <%
                  RS.MoveNext
                  Loop
               %>
               </TABLE1>

            FUNCTION 2 :- The server application should send the XML data
source constructed in the ASP as an XML stream to the client browser.

            IMPLEMENTATION OF FUNCTION 2:- Sending the XML stream back to
the client browser is easily achievable through ASP. But the problem is in
trapping the XML stream by the client browser.

            Just like in a normal HTML interaction , the server sends an
HTML stream back, which the client browser traps and displays , the same
mechanism should also hold if one plans to send an XML stream back.

            Based on the above content here are my questions :-

            1) Does IE 4.01 trap and process the XML data stream as it
arrives from the  server?
               (The way it traps and processes HTML)
               If so how?If not, how to make it do it?

            Ideally, an XML data stream is attached with an XSL stylesheet
for display purposes, for which the MSXSL processor can be used.

            2) How to associate the incoming XML data stream (not a .XML
file) from the server with an XSL stylesheet (using MSXSL processor) in
IE4.01?

            Any suggestions would be appreciated,
            Thanks in advance,

AMIT