LISTRIVIA YELLOW CARD (was Re: How do browsers (IE4.01) trap XML streams coming from server?)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 31 18:53:15 BST 1998

At 12:32 31/07/98 +0530, Amit Rekhi wrote:

[... a posting to XML-DEV ...]

>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\Howdobro.htm"

accompanied by an attachment which appeared on the hypermailer as:

------=_NextPart_000_0039_01BDBC7F.3C1D65F0

Hello,
         &nbs= p; =20 Is IE 4.01 capable of trapping XML streams and
processing them
using = XSL as=20 they come from the server? (just as it traps and
processes = HTML
streams from=20 the = server).

         &nb= sp;=20 I am in the process of building an XML enabled server
= side
application which=20 will talk to SQL server(6.5) tables and facing such=20 a
problem.
         &n= bsp; =20 My ENVIRONMENT is=20 :-

          &nb= sp; =20 * OS :- Windows NT Server=20 4.0
           =  =20 * Scripting Evnvironment :-=20 ASP
           =  =20 * Scripting Language :-=20 VBScript

[... many more lines of total garbage deleted ...]

On 1998-07-10 I wrote:

>At 18:42 10/07/98 +0530, [a poster] wrote:
>[...]
>>

>>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\MergingO.htm"

>Please try to avoid attachments of any sort on this list. Thanks.

and on 1998-07-13 I also posted (with a slight hint of impatience):

>At 10:24 13/07/98 +0530, Amit Rekhi wrote:

>[... about 30 words to XML-DEV ...]

>and then copied about 100 lines of previous material, quite unnecessarily

>AMIT
>>
>>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\ReMergi1.htm"

>and then duplicated it all in an HTML message.

>This represents an information content of about 1%, the rest being dross
>that I have to pay for.

>Given that I have posted twice about this in the last few days I regard
>this as discourteous to me and the list members. I do not normally
>name-and-shame and I hope I don't have to again.

You [Amit Rekhi] either do not read what I post to you, or do not care
about me and the other members of this list or are unable to control what
your mailer emits. I hope it is the latter. If you are unable to control a
mailer you are going to find it difficult to participate effectively in XML
work.

I don't like writing this sort of message, but I cannot allow this sort of
pollution on XML-DEV. I hope you understand the term "yellow card" - i.e.
if you continue with this we shall have no option but to unsubscribe you. I
am sure it won't come to that. There are lots of place on the WWW where you
can find out about mailers (*NOT* XML-DEV).

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)