xml parser toolkits for "legacy" environment?

Biron,Paul V Paul.V.Biron at kp.ORG
Fri Jul 31 22:50:53 BST 1998

All of the XML parser toolkits I know about (i.e., all those listed in
the Whirlwind Guide plus a few others) are written in "modern" languages
(Java, C++, C, perl, etc.)

Is anyone out there working on tools that would allow someone who is
confined to "legacy" environments (COBOL, FORTRAN, etc. for programming
languages and MUMPS, OS/400, MVS, etc. for operating systems) to use
XML?  In the (US) healthcare domain, these environments are very much
still big players.  Anyone working on freely redistributable toolkits
for these environments would be doing the "world" a great favor; anyone
working on commerically available toolkits would make a fortune!

Any pointers that I can get to existing code or development efforts
greately appreciated.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)