What are schemata

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Mon Jun 1 18:16:16 BST 1998

James K. Tauber wrote:

> Yep. What I was trying to stress was, is there anything more to a schema
> than boolean validity?  (ie is this document a member of the set of
> documents described by the schema).

Schema languages will usually also provide support for authoring, by
allowing elements and attributes to be validated individually.

> I would say so. DTDs go a little bit
> beyond this with notations, etc.

I don't feel that those are the responsibilities of a schema language. I
think that the fact that DTDs do them is evidence that DTDs are more than
schema languages.

Three things it is far better that only you should know:
How much you're paid, the schedule pad, and what is just for show

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)