XSchema Question 2: Namespaces

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Tue Jun 2 17:07:34 BST 1998

Lisa Rein writes:
>it doesn't necessarily NEED to be stable, since any "specification" we
>come up with is for experimental use only as our way of assiting the XML
>working group for when they define the REAL spec yes?
>
>Let's not forget that - although I have been personally amazed at the
>unprecedented usefulness of this discussion group for its unprecedented
>assistance to the WG on numerous occasions (and myself personally :-)
>It is the XML WG -- NOT US --  that will ultimately define "XSchema's"
>syntax  etc. (if that is indeed what hey decide it should be called).
>
>XML Schemas will be incorporated into the XML core itself, and must be
>done so using due process...(to pick its prefix, or what have you...)

In the long run, this is indeed true.  In the short term, however, this is not
a WG project and we are not using WG 'due process' - just public discussion
leading to (hopefully) a rough consensus on a specification.  This is indeed
an experimental specification, but it is a specification we hope to complete
by the end of June, _complete with namespaces_.

It would be nice if some of this proposal survives as part of an eventual W3C
specification, but it may well not.  I'm focused on producing a workable
specification, not contemplating its eventual demise. For a discussion
XSchema/W3C WG issues, see
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/9805/0454.html .

Also:
>Also;  why would XML schemas have a different prefix than their XML
>documented counterparts -- XML Schemas will become part of the CORE
>specification, yes?

Someday they may, but we do need something for now.  Their "XML-documented
counterparts" use <! syntax, not instance syntax, so they didn't need another
prefix.

John Cowan writes:
JC>Thus it is not necessary to standardize a prefix, although
JC>it certainly would be reasonable to recommend one.

Precisely.  So may we recommend XSC?

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)