XSchema Question 5: Root element issues

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Tue Jun 2 19:16:16 BST 1998

We'll start the XSchema document syntax discussion at the top, with the root
element. Hopefully this piece will be a nice appetizer and we can proceed to
its subelements and attributes, the main course.

>From the Goals:
--------------------
1. XSchema documents shall use XML document syntax, using element nesting and
attributes to describe all constraints that may be verified by a processor
using XSchema.
--------------------

In XML documents, per 2.1 of the XML specification:
--------------------
There is exactly one element, called the root, or document element, no part of
which appears in the content of any other element.
--------------------

XSchema documents, in order to be XML documents, must have a single root
element, which may be preceded by the prolog, PIs, and perhaps comments and
XML 1.0 DTD information.

An XSchema document might begin:
<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<?xml:namespace ns='http://tobedetermined.com' prefix='XSC' ?>
<XSC:XSchema>
</XSC:XSchema>

Do we want to provide additional information in this root element regarding
XSchema version, for instance?

We could add "version='0.1'" or something.

Given that we're discussing verifying fragments, it's mildly ironic to be
requiring a root element.  Any concerns on that issue?

Most important, am I forgetting anything critical?

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)