XSchema Question 2: Namespaces

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 2 23:26:59 BST 1998

At 13:31 02/06/98 UT, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>I think you'll find in common usage that people will prefer to refer to
>namespaces through common references, and that prefixes _do_ matter, whether
>or not they do technically.  The URI is handy, and necessary, to avoid
>conflicts, but is anyone really going to talk about "namespace
>urn:uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882"? Not unless they're showing
off
>their memory, in which case they might do better to memorize pi to X digits.

I am implementing namespaces in JUMBO and have realised how important the
ns is. It's very important to choose a good one. The prefix *is* irrelevant
and I shall try to show how we can avoid some of the earlier coding problems.
It's probably quite sufficient to use <X: in the spec - less typing - and
we shall also *certainly* need stuff from XHTML (if we are going to
document), where I suggest <H:P>, <H:IMG> etc.

>So, any contenders for the URI?  members.aol.com/simonstl/xschema/ is
quite a
>chunk and not likely to be stable, long term.

Jon Bosak very kindly let us use xml.org for the SAX spec. I suspect that
Jon may regret that :-). It certainly would fit the bill for the ns here.
Of course the src document need not be so stable (a PURL could be a useful
idea).  And, of course, people will need to have local copies behind
firewalls.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg