XSchema Question 2: Namespaces

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 2 23:30:36 BST 1998

At 10:03 02/06/98 -0700, Lisa Rein wrote:

[... a number of rather emotive things...]

Please try to be constructive on this list - tirades against other
XML-DEVers are unlikely to be helpful.

I haven't read all the later messages on this list yet, so please excuse me
if  I cover later ground.

I am attempting to be neutral here and my understanding is:
	- everyone posting on this topic is doing it in good faith.  Everyone has
a mixture of altruism and self-interest in what they post here and my
feeling is that the altruism quotient is high.
	- there is a groundswell of opinion that needs the result of the process
we are currently going through. I, at least, will be grateful for what
comes out of it. (Even if that wasn't true, it would still be a valuable
exercise).
	- we are extremely sensitive to the process of the W3C. There are a number
of WG members who read this list and some have commented publicly on this
topic.
	- although there is no formal process, we have been informed several times
of potential developments by the W3C which helped guide our activities. For
example, JonB notified us of the change of caseSensistivity and also of the
major revision in XSL. If we were doing something utterly foolish here I
would expect that we would pick up some gentle hints.
	- the implementation of XML and related specs is a grey area. The DOM is
concerned with implementation but most of the others aren't. In the case of
SAX there was some initial feeling that this was 'duplicating the DOM' and
was unnecessary - in the event it turned out not only to be valuable, but I
think that the public discussion has covered areas the DOM will find very
useful (Exceptions, Encodings, etc.). My current interpretation is that
XSchema (note: NOT XML Schema) is an earlier implementation of something
that is currently required by a number of people. It bears the same sort of
relation to RDF and XML-data efforts as does SAX to the DOM. If we can do
it fast, simply and efficiently we hope the community will benefit. It it
doesn't, it's another experiment from which we learn something.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)