XSchema: multiple proposals

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jun 3 13:37:53 BST 1998

Simon St. Laurent wrote:

> While we've been pondering some basic questions, several folks out there have
> already built some sample XSchema structures that are worth taking a look at.
> So far I've seen two and heard of two more.  One of them, from John Cowan, has
> already been announced to the list, and is available at
> http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XSchema-draft-19980601.txt . The author of the
> other one I've seen is in the process of posting it.

And here it is, along with a list of comments/questions and a list of
differences from John's proposal:

http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/DVS1/staff/bourret/xschema.html

Because John posted his first, I had the advantage of comparing the two and
tweaking mine a bit (thanks, John ;).  Both proposals are substantially similar
to each other, as well as to the XML-specific parts of XML-Data.  They differ
mostly in element names and in how ?/+/* and attribute types are represented.

All of which leads me to wonder if is there an (as yet undiscovered) way to
represent XML content models in XML without using the basic structure:

<XSchema>
   <ElementDef>
      <ChoiceOrSeq>
         <ElementRef>...</ElementRef>