XSchema: multiple proposals

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 3 20:13:10 BST 1998

At 18:31 02/06/98 UT, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
[...]
>I'd like this process to continue as a set of questions, followed by a
>proposal incorporating the results of the questions.  At the same time, I
>think that drafts created by individuals can give us some valuable grounding
>for those discussions, especially when we can compare and contrast them.

I agree. Reading the proposals and the discussion on them today I felt that
things were coming together well. Although there is a spectrum of opinion
there seem to be no major ideological gulfs. I think Simon is doing a great
job of pulling this together - it's very challenging because there are
issues we haven't  really discussed before.  As always it's a dichotomy
between simplicity and functionality. My personal touchstone would be that
- at present - a newcomer to XML who has read the XML 1.0 spec and the
namespace spec would have a reasonable chance of understanding our
proposal. The closer that we map onto them, the easier it will be.

Personally I am very happy with the general tenor of the drafts that have
been offered. Have I got the process right, Simon - two (or more) drafts
will be published and then you will ask questions which may use material
from the drafts. E.g. "do you want NOTATIONs? - see draft 1 for example" -
"do you want AttributeTypes as attributes? (e.g. draft 1) or as content?
(draft 2)".

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg