Namespaces and Parsers

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 3 20:13:12 BST 1998

At 08:59 03/06/98 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
[...]
>XPointers, XSL, XSchema and most other XML processing specs will have to
>be updated to be namespace aware. This should probably done in version 1.0
>of those specs. That explains the urgency of the namespace proposal.

I am delighted to see this stated so cleanly and fully support it. The
message is clear for XSchema - we can and must address namespaces.
Fortunately I don't think it's too difficult. For the others I hope that
this view filters through to the WGs :-).

I agree with Paul that XPointer should have namespace aware components. For
example, it's  perfectly reasonable for someone to ask "are there any
mathematical or chemical equations in this document?" At present they would
have to search for
descendant(1,MathML:EQN) or descendant(CML:REACTION) and *hope* that the
authors had used 'common' prefixes. But this will assuredly break. So
really they should be searching for (1,http://www.ams.org.MathML:EQN) or
whatever.

	P.

net connection