Roots of the DTD (was: ANNOUNCE: Virtual Hyperglossary)

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Fri Jun 5 00:06:26 BST 1998

>Hmmm.  This sounds like the "root" (my syntax) or "RootElement" (Ron's
>syntax) attribute in XSchema is a Bad Thing.  Perhaps it should be
>removed?

Given the current way DOCTYPEs work, as well as the desire voiced by many on
this list to be able to validate fragments, we'd probably do better to leave
roots out of it.  It remains an important issue, however, for whatever we use
to link an XSchema to a document.  Do we need/want to declare a 'Root' element
there?

It seems to me it could be optional, provided that whatever authors choose as
their root contains the content model specified for it by the schema.  This is
an issue we need to address.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)