Namespaces: Biting The Bullet

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Fri Jun 5 17:26:55 BST 1998

>> XSchemas may well need other namespace PIs of their own.  For
>> example, if a DOC element contains other elements to indicate
>> formatting, these presumably come from some namespace other than
>> the XSchema namespace.  If so, a PI will be in order to declare
>> that namespace and some prefix for it.  If the XSchema is
>> describing that very namespace ... well, that leads to a mixed-level
>> cross-reference.  Keeping the PI distinct from the element solves
>> the problem.
>
>an example would help here. i don't (yet) see a problem.

Before we get caught up in this for XSchemas, I'd like to hear some discussion
of how namespaces work with plain old DTDs, and how best to handle documents
and DTDs with mixed namespaces.

'This ambiguity is not always a problem' (2.5) sounds like a problem that
we'll have to resolve for XSchemas, and I'm hoping that the method prescribed
in the draft for DTDs will get us through.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)