The Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Simple Hypertext DTD

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Fri Jun 5 20:50:14 BST 1998

Tim Bray wrote:

> Nice work; a couple of comments:

Thank you.  Praise from Sir Roger is praise indeed.

> 1. Why do you have the (barf) FONT element in the days of stylesheets?

I would rather have had CONTRAST (different text color), IMPORTANT
(bigger font), and UNIMPORTANT (smaller font) tags, but nobody added
such generic local markup to HTML 4.0.  I have added some comments.

Michael Everson, BTW, says that red color is a plaintext element in
Egyptian hieroglyphics and Naxi texts (from China), and someday Unicode
may well get control characters for BEGIN RUBRIC and END RUBRIC,
to be rendered as a long overhead line in B/W environments.
See http://wwwold.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n1636/n1636.htm .

I note that ABBR and ACRONYM did get into HTML 4.0, and I am
adding them to ibtwsh.dtd forthwith.

> 2. The html character entities that you reference unfortunately are
>    non-XML-conformant, because they are all declared like so:
>
> <!ENTITY copy   CDATA "&#169;" -- copyright sign, U+00A9 ISOnum -->
> There are two obvious problems here... -Tim

Um, yes.  Somebody someday will have to fix that.  For now, the
intent is clear, and nsgmls does not enforce the prohibition even
when running in XML mode.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)