Unified XSchema draft available

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Jun 6 14:53:23 BST 1998

John Cowan wrote:

> Although there are still a few things Ron and John disagree on,
> I have written a unified draft, basically by taking Ron's draft
> and hacking on it a bit.  Ron hasn't seen it yet, though, so
> it may change further in the process of converging.
>
> The URL: http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XSchema-draft-DTD-19980605.txt .
> You may also need: http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/ibtwsh.dtd .
> In the interests of speed, I have not published new prose or a new
> meta-XSchema yet.
>
> New and changed stuff from Ron's last draft (*s mark what Ron has
> NOT approved-in-principle yet):

[change list snipped]

I've read the changes and agree.  I'm still a bit uneasy with the following two
items, but I'm willing to agree to whatever the list decides, including leaving
them as they are:

1) If an attribute type is not declared, it is assumed to be CDATA.  I lean
toward explicitness.

2) A Choice or Seq must have two or more elements.  This makes logical sense,
but I'm still a bit afraid that people will commonly include only a single
element and that we ought to allow it.  Perhaps it's due to one of my mother's
favorite sayings: "We got vanilla [ice cream].  Waddya want?"

My Web site now points to John's.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)