The Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Simple Hypertext DTD

Michael Kay M.H.Kay at eng.icl.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 14:51:07 BST 1998

>It is often convenient for XML documents to have a bit of
>documentation somewhere in them... Using HTML-compatible
elements
>and attributes allows the documentation to be passed
straight
>through to HTML renderers.

Yes indeed, very useful.

In my application I also want to use XML-tags within the
documentary text, e.g. a <SURNAME> tag within the text of an
<LI> element, but that doesn't reduce the usefulness of what
you are offering.

I am trying to understand how I would use namespaces to
allocate a prefix to the HTML-derived tags, and I confess
myself baffled by the specs, in particular the concept of
"schema" which the namespaces proposal relies on. If I
incorporate the itsy-bitsy DTD into my own DTD using
parameter entities as suggested, have I lost the ability to
use prefixes for its tags? If not, is there some other way
of combining the two DTD's?

Mike Kay

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)