XSchema Spec, Sections 2.0 and 2.1 (Draft 1)

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Mon Jun 8 22:33:50 BST 1998

JC> No, not at all.  There is no XSchema equivalent of parameter
JC> entities.

CM>That's unfortunate.  We tried to kill them in XML, but couldn't
CM>because they're so useful.  The processing concerns they introduced in
CM>XML go away if you treat them as ID'd objects and references thereto,
CM>so there's no reason to avoid them and very good reasons to include
CM>them.  Especially since the syntax is going to be more verbose, the
CM>gain in reusing pieces is larger.

There is no XSchema 1.0 equivalent to parameter entities, but I expect that
we'll certainly see entity usage, perhaps with 'traditional' entities filling
in the gaps.

I'd like to see XLink used for this, when and if we know whether XLink is
willing to support outright text inclusions.

The gain in reusing pieces is enormous, but the first step is building the
schema as XML pieces that can be reused easily.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)