Entities in XSchema (was: XSchema Spec, Sections 2.0 and 2.1 ...)

Toby Speight tms at ansa.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 11:30:27 BST 1998

Chris> Chris Maden <URL:mailto:crism at oreilly.com>

=> In article <199806082016.QAA06111 at ruby.ora.com>, Chris wrote:

Chris> I think the problem of defining entity replacements is
Chris> fundamentally different from defining element structures,
Chris> and should be addressed separately. ... [T]he two things
Chris> should not be conflated as DTDs conflate them.

I'm in general agreement that a notation for defining general entities
should be separated from XSchema, which shouldn't try to take on more
than declaring element structure.

The one case where the two meet is when a default value is specified
for an attribute of type ENTITY or ENTITIES.  If the two are
separated, it becomes difficult or impossible for an XSchema processor
to ensure that the entity exists.

Chris> We tried to kill [parameter entities] in XML, but couldn't
Chris> because they're so useful.  ... [S]ince the syntax is going to
Chris> be more verbose, the gain in reusing pieces is larger.

You can declare general entities internal to a XSchema document (at
least I think you can - the section on conformance needs to explicitly
allow this).