Roots of the DTD

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Wed Jun 10 20:10:00 BST 1998

Matt Mower wrote:
>Given that the DTD doesn't define the root element a tool cannot
>immediately know how to start creating the document - leaving this
>choice up to the user, who may also not know.
>
>When writing a particular DTD I would like the *option* of being able to
>specify what the root element *must* be for a document that wants to
>conform (is that right word?)  It's my type of document after all!

This seems like an excellent idea - one I would have missed, given my crazy
tendencies toward hand-building XML documents.  It's certainly something we
should consider as part of the Doc element for the XSchema, or perhaps it
deserves its own place.  At the very least, I would hope this information
would appear in the human-readable documentation we're enabling in XSchemas.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)