Attributes with Intent (and namespaces)

MURATA Makoto murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
Fri Jun 12 07:05:31 BST 1998

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> The XML Recommendation creates a category of attributes which have intent.
> (2.10 xml:space, 2.12 xml:lang). I believe that this raises implementation
> problems for which we may wish to devise a common protocol. The same
> problem arises in implementing XLink which, although not final, appears
> likely to contain the same (or closely related constructs).

By the way, do you think that an element of one namespace should
be able to inherit attributes from another element of a different
namespace?  If we would like to forbid such inheritance, we can simply
say "Inheritance stops when namespaces switch"  or explicitly
say "an element whose namespace is different from that of its immediate superior
must explicitly specify xml:space and xml:lang".

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)