XSchema Spec Section 2.3, Draft 1

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Fri Jun 12 14:36:30 BST 1998

John Cowan wrote:
>That was my original design.  Ron thought it was clearer to allow
>an explicit PCData element equivalent to an empty Mixed element,
>and I acquiesced.

For now, I'll leave it.  Ron's away for a couple of days, and we can discuss
it when he gets back.

>It occurs to me that the Mixed element should have a
>Frequency attribute declared #FIXED "ZeroOrMore".
>It *is* "built in", which is why it can sensibly be represented by a
>#FIXED attribute.  That way, people can see Mixed, Seq, and Choice
>as adhering to a common "frequency architecture".  Just a thought,
>not anything I'm fanatical about.

The more I think about this, the more I like it.  I'm a little leery of using
fixed attributes in XSchemas because I doubt that they will have much meaning
for processors, but they can certainly show the way.  While I wouldn't reduce
Mixed to a Seq in the XSchema, I can see where it might well be convenient for
a processor to do so.  I'll put it in.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)