LISTRIVIA (was RE: Question about Architectures and Versioning)

Rzepa, Henry h.rzepa at ic.ac.uk
Sun Jun 14 10:38:27 BST 1998

>(E) Read the instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing. They are
>clear, and included in the signature. I have even had messages from
>competent people asking
>
>"Please can you post this to Henry Rzepa *** as I don't have his e-mail
>address ***".
>
>Since this occurs in every message to the list, this is unnecessary. [I
>know some people (rightly) question the length of the signature of the
>list, but it does prevent many problems. Without it you would get many more
>'unsubscribe' messages posted to the list.

I too have had comments about the length of the signature (particulary since
it is repeated 100s of times in the digest). I have asked the people who
control
the majordomo list if the signature could effectively be placed only at the
top of the
hypermail archive, but they have replied this is a "non standard" option
and they do not have the resources to implement it.

Overall I remain convinced that its better to have a few bytes more
information than
too little. Where the technology does let us down is when people move to other
organisations, and no longer have access to the address they used to
subscribe with.
This then does need manual intervention by me. Some such requests do slip
by me;
my only excuse is that they are lost amongst the 1000 or so error messages
the list
generates a week (mostly "delayed" messages as vital routers etc appear to
be switched
off at weekends, or "mailbox full" messages as hard disks fill up). My
policy is
to delete subscribers whose email appears to generate "hard" errors, and to
wait
on "soft" errors such as full mailboxes. If you suddenly stop receiving
postings,
its probably because  I detected (or thought I detected) such a hard error
on your
account. Please accept my excuse that to track these down on an individual
basis
would take more time than I have.
Henry Rzepa. +44 171 594 5774 (Office) +44 171 594 5804 (Fax)
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)