XML DTD help for binary data

Gang He gang at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 16 22:05:24 BST 1998

Hi,
I am working on writing a XML DTD to describe a data file. The file will
contain some binary data. I understand that I can use Entity and
Notation to do the job. But for some reason I have to make the file
containing the binary data a XML document file. Could someone please
tell me whether I can use PCDATA for the binary data directly or I
should make all binary characters into character references and then put
them in PCDATA? And if I need make all binary characters into character
references first, is there any way to convert the binary character into
character reference automatically?
Many thanks in advance.
Gang

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)