XML DTD help for binary data

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Tue Jun 16 22:37:40 BST 1998

At 03:05 PM 6/16/98 -0500, Gang He wrote:
>Hi,
>I am working on writing a XML DTD to describe a data file. The file will
>contain some binary data. I understand that I can use Entity and
>Notation to do the job. But for some reason I have to make the file
>containing the binary data a XML document file.

You certainly should not have to make the file containing the binary data
an XML document.  For example, you should be able to do this:

<?XML version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE MyDoc [
 <!NOTATION mybinaryformat PUBLIC "+//IDN me.com//NOTATION my binary data"
"" >
 <!ENTITY abinaryobject
    SYSTEM "http://www.me.com/files/stuff.abo"
    NDATA mybinaryformat

 <!ELEMENT ObjectRef
    EMPTY

 <!ATTLIST ObjectRef
    object
      ENTITY
      #REQUIRED

]>
<MyDoc>
<ObjectRef object="abinaryobject"/>
</MyDoc>

Perhaps you are trying to reference the data ("unparsed") entity by an
inline entity reference? You cannot do that. You must reference it by
attribute, if you reference it at all, as shown in the example.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)