XSchema: existing ID attributes considered harmful (was: XSchema Spec Section 2.2, Draft 1)

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Wed Jun 17 15:17:05 BST 1998

The chorus has spoken:
>> > In aid of this, I am PROPOSING that we not use any ID attributes
>> > in XSchema 1.0; change the "id ID #REQUIRED" attributes in ElementDecl
>> > elements to "name NMTOKEN #REQUIRED" instead.  That will allow us
>> > to reserved XML IDs for structure-sharing.
>>
>> I like this idea.
>
>Ditto.  It looks like the XSchema app is going to have to do half the work
>anyway, so there's no point in limiting ourselves with IDs.

I'll make the change.  I think this opens up XSchema dramatically, making
possible and eventually compatible the currently-proposed nested model, Paul's
rule based model, and several of the ideas I've seen for re-creating parameter
entities.

The key in my mind remains making the declarations referenceable; the rest we
can handle in successive specifications as needed.  I think we have a great
start here.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)