What XML tag to Java method binding solution exist?

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 20:37:24 BST 1998

At 16:22 18/06/98 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:

>>Rolande Kendal asked:
>>What XML tag to Java method binding solutions exist?
>>
>I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the question. If you
>want to write specific Java classes to process specific XML
>element types, this is exactly what SAXON gives you.
>
>See http://home.iclweb.com/icl2/mhkay/saxon.html

Agreed. In principle this is a very important area and is certainly
interesting to W3C members. I think it naturally comes out of the DOM - but
I'd be happy to have more authoritative comment. In principle XSL *could*
provide this binding (it uses ECMAScript == JavaScript at present). However
when I raised this many months ago, the feeling was that embedding Java in
XSL was too challenging at that time.

In JUMBO1 there was a mechanism for mapping elements to java classes that
was Namespace-aware. It is possible that such a mechanism may arise out of
the XSchema initiative. The major question we would need to address is how
to map methods onto this. Thus when an event occurs, or a rule is triggered
*which* method is invoked? In JUMBO I used a simple convention that
clicking on an element activated display(), and every FOONode.java
implements a display() method. We may need others, like print(), write(),
getDisplayCompenent(), validate(), etc.

I'd be very happy to see other comments on this :-)

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)