Inheritance between DTD's ?

James H. Blackwell Jr. jim.blackwell at gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 22 17:22:21 BST 1998

Hi all,

I am in the process of writing a proposal to do some XML development and
I had a question that I could not find the answer to (so far).

Is there any sort of "Inheritance" between DTDs ?  For example, say you
have some smaller DTDs and wish to merge them into another larger DTD
that is more specific.

If the same tag definition exists between the smaller DTDs or between
the larger DTD and one you wish to include within it, does the tag
definition that comes first in the DTD rule ?

Can this sort of thing even be done ?

Thanks,

Jim Blackwell

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)