words (RE: extensibility in XSchema?)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 22 23:16:54 BST 1998

At 13:21 22/06/98 -0500, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
[...]
>The ultimate problem of course is that Humpty Dumpty rules in XML land: any
>element can mean exactly what you want it to mean, regardless of what the
>original author intended it to mean.  That is the beauty of generalized
>markup and the curse of generalized markup.

Eliot is, of course, formally correct.

>Embrace the chaos.

I attach the following semantics to this fuzzy statement. Eliot is urging
us to find workable solutions, using XML-DEV as a means for arriving at
rough consensus within at least a part of our community. He is also
suggesting that this will be a joyous task. [1]

	P.

[1] Of course you have to attach semantics to what *I* have just written...
net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)