words (RE: extensibility in XSchema?)

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 23 00:29:32 BST 1998

At 17:42 22/06/98 -0400, Bill la Forge wrote:
[...]
>I see a fundamental difference between MIME and XML. MIME defines how a file
>is presented/processed, while XML supports the movement of information
between
>different applications.

Thanks - I'll think about this.

>The bindings an application uses (and I like to think of binding being
done by
>element type) depends on how the document is to be processed--the binding is
>left to the application.
>
>With fixed bindings, the use of the document would be quite restricted.

I'm not suggesting fixed bindings. I'm suggesting that the document (+its
metadata, environment, packaging, etc.) identify the application to be used
to process it. IOW a MathML document will - in some way - launch a
mathematics-aware application. (It's no use launching DSSSL). And CML will
launch a CML-aware application. Now, if we have a document with both MathML
and CML we need to have a generic processor like JUMBO which can launch the
Java classes for each element. Perhaps this is mainly a software issue,
rather than an architecture one, but we at least have to know where to find
the applications. And XSL would give us the chance to choose different
applications if we wanted.

	P.

>Bill
>http://www.jxml.com