words (RE: extensibility in XSchema?)

Paul Prescod papresco at technologist.com
Tue Jun 23 16:28:28 BST 1998

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> This would be exactly what I want to do. I have asked if we can have Java
> classes in XSL instead of rendering on paper. So far this doesn't seem
> possible. I shall keep asking :-)

You've asked for Java classes, but you haven't said what you want the
Java classes to do? Should they correspond to an interface with an
infinite number of methods for everything you might ever want to do with
an XML document?

XSL works because it has a single task: rendering (not necessarily on
paper!). The interfaces between the snippets of XSL code are
well-defined, because all they are doing is passing around rendered
document sections. If you want the same for Java classes, then you must
define what you want those Java classes to do, and define appropriate
interfaces for them.

 Paul Prescod

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)