XML dialect for UML modeling

Jarle Stabell jarle.stabell at dokpro.uio.no
Wed Jun 24 21:18:43 BST 1998

On 24. juni 1998 20:17, James Anderson [SMTP:jamesa at qualcomm.com] wrote:
> Does anyone have any information on an IBM proposal for representing UML
> models in an XML dialect?  I need to find out if an industry standard has
> developed for UML formatting.

I don't know about the IBM proposal other than reading a few lines about
this a week or two ago.
I would also be interested in info about this proposal.

There are some XML-UML relevant info at:
http://www.cdif.org/overview/XmlSyntax.html

and

at http://www.yy.cs.keio.ac.jp/~suzuki/project/uxf/  (this server was down
when I wrote this mail, but worked last time I checked the site (about a
week ago))

Here is the abstract of a paper (available at the latter URL) written by
Junichi Suzuki and Yoshikazu Yamamoto

Title: "Making UML models exchangeable over the Internet with XML: UXF
approach"

"As Unified Modeling Language (UML) provides most of the concepts and
notations that are essential for documenting object-oriented models, it has
been widely accepted in the software engineering area. However, UML does
not have an explicit format for exchanging its models intentionally. The
ability to exchange the models is quite important, because it is likely
that a development team resides in separate places on the network
environment, and because most current development tools don't provide the
interconnectivity of the model information. This paper addresses this
problem and proposes UXF (UML eXchange Format), which is an exchange format
for UML models, based on XML (Extensible Markup Language). It is a format
powerful enough to express, publish, access and exchange UML models and a
natural extension from the existing Internet environment. It serves as a
communication vehicle for developers, and as a well-structured data format
for development tools. UXF shows an important step in sharing and
exchanging the model information, and indicates a future direction of the
interconnectivity between UML compliant tools."

Cheers,
Jarle Stabell

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)