verbose XSchema Spec Section 2.4, Draft 2

Simon St.Laurent SimonStL at classic.msn.com
Fri Jun 26 01:29:27 BST 1998

Chris Maden:
>This seems unnecessarily verbose in the extreme.
>Here's where it gets interesting: Does XSchema have to limit itself to
>the capabilities of DTDs?  If so, why bother?  Think about this:

I like the proposal, and I don't mind using attributes.  The concern I have is
that processing XSchemas now requires a lot of extra checking on the
'correctness' of the XSchema.  Using the elements, convoluted though it was,
allowed the use of a simple validation (okay, it's ironic) to make sure that
the XSchema wasn't attempting to provide an odd combination of functionality.

Does this extra overhead for checking XSchemas bother anyone?  The goals said
that XSchema would have a DTD, not that an XSchema that can validate against
the DTD would be functionally correct.  (Or some such weirdness.)  So far
we've been using the DTD to constrain the XSchema's possible content.  This
would be a change of philosophy in that regard.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)