Announce: PHyLIS, Personal HyTime Link Information System

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Tue Jun 30 18:43:38 BST 1998

At 03:28 AM 6/25/98, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

>	- if I want to extend it/play_with_it, do I have to buy a VB
>interpreter/compiler?

To modify the code you would need a license of at least VB Standard Edition
(I don't think I use anything that is only provided with Enterprise
Edition, which is what I have installed).  You should be able to get a copy
at academic discount for about 100 dollars US.  I wish this were not so,
but, what can I do?

I repeat that a Java version is a high priority, once I meet my immediate
requirements (the next major job for PHyLIS is to be an adjunct to my
HyTime book).

Also, once I figure out how to enable run-time plug-ins, you could always
create new components and plug them in using whatever method you want to
implement my public interfaces (including using Java through the
ActiveX-Java bridge).

>>Among the many things it demonstrates are:
>
>[... wonderful things snipped ...]
>
>If you can get help - as you note - to make the distribution as easy as
>possible then we have little excuse for not finding out how HyTime works :-)

I should have a standalone version available soon, so you can at least run
it and interact with it without any other prerequisites (except possibly
IE4, which one of my components requires).

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)