XSchema: root element

Ron Bourret rbourret at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Jun 30 19:05:51 BST 1998

A while back, we got rid of the RootElement attribute from the XSchema element.  The reason was that an XSchema could just be a set of
elements to be included elsewhere.  If you wanted to know what the root was, you
could look at the top element in the XML file.

I now believe we should bring RootElement back as an optional attribute
(NMTOKEN, #IMPLIED).  The primary reason is for authoring, although it would
also be useful in DTD exploration.

For example, suppose I have a generic XML editor.  I pick an XSchema from a list
of XSchemas and want to start writing.  But where do I start?  If the XSchema is
just a set of elements, I can pick my own root.  But if the XSchema creator had
a starting place in mind, like the <HTML> element in HTML, I need to start in
the correct place or I won't create a valid file.  Therefore, the XSchema should
provide this information.

When an XSchema element is used as a subelement, the RootElement attribute is
ignored.  This is the case in which a stand-alone XSchema is included inside a
larger, comprehensive XSchema.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)